dimarts, de maig 31, 2005

An Unmemorable Memorial Day (English)

An unmemorable Memorial Day it was indeed. However, it was not unpleasant. I left Schenectady on Saturday morning and went to Pennsylvania. My mother, brother and I had an enjoyable ride in the country and then dinner at a nice pub-ish place in Mt. Bethel. Later that evening the neighbor and her daighter came up and we played Texas Hold'em for a couple hours while I sipper Jameson and Diet Pepsi to kill the relative boredom Sunday, our family friend, Barbara, arrived from Nesquohoning, and we all went to the Pocono Brew Company for lunch on their deck, which was also enjoyable. Since you can't buy beer in Pennsylvania on Sundays, we rode across the river to New Jersey and procured some decent beer and some more Jameson near Columbia, then Monday it was back to Schenectady.

Monday evening I spent with Anna. We went to a new-ish restaurant in McKownville (perhaps it was Ellesmere, the lines between those two hamlets are hard to discern) called Caberbet Café. We both had the pan-seared scallops and we shared a cheese and meat platter for an appetizer, very yummy, as they say. Today it was on to more mundane tasks, but I did clock twelve miles on the bike on an absolutely stunning afternoon along the Mohawk. The only bad thing about the bike ride were the inch worms, who attacked me fairly consistently as I cruised along. Sadly, I had to help several dozen of them along their karmic journeys...

Friday was graduation, by the way. It went well, but was longer than normal. Afterward I met Th. and M. and we went to Raindancer for small meal. I had scallops again. I can't seem to get enough of those darn "eraser heads" as Carolyn calls them. Earlier that day I had taken Bill to St. Peter's, and his procedure seems to have helped alleviate some of his malaise...

1 comentari:

Unknown ha dit...

I'm glad you had an enjoyable time in our hometown. My weekend was uneventful, though I had a cathartic time at the dance improv class Monday night. I'm clawing my way out of a deep depression, but have managed a few sure footholds out of the abyss. I'm nearly fit for human company again. Damn these dark nights of the soul! I've taken down a lot of my blog and will post again once I can stop sounding like the robot from the Hitchhiker's Guide. I can only show my ass so many times after all! ;-)

I'm looking forward to coming up to Albany in the next couple weekends as soon as my budget and our schedules allow.